CEU Program (Extended Education)
For questions regarding the CEU program or to submit a CEU application, call 614-292-8860 or email email@example.com.
We offer Ohio State Continuing Education Units (CEUs) for non-credit professional education and training programs offered by Ohio State departments and faculty members.
CEUs are based upon industry standards of one CEU per ten hours of class time, excluding meals and breaks. When offering CEUs via distance learning, methods for determining hours of class time include referencing the average number of hours spent completing a pilot program offering, the hours for a similar face-to-face training, or similar for-credit course activity hours.
For help determining contact hours for new CEU programs, see ODEE guidance for credit hour estimation.
To request Ohio State CEUs, the program coordinator(s) must submit the following materials to the Office of Distance Education and eLearning.
Submit application, curriculum materials and application fee (plan to submit materials for review at least 30 days in advance of the program)
- Curriculum materials with application:
- CEU application form from The Ohio State University Office of Distance Education and eLearning
- Content of program
- Objectives and goals of the program (must be stated in measurable statements)
- Target audience
- Program agenda with specific beginning and ending time frames for each program component
- Number of contact hours for each session
- Breakfasts, lunches, dinners or breaks may NOT be included in contact hours unless there is a presenter with objectives and goals of the session
- Name(s) of presenter(s)
- Qualification(s) of presenter(s) for approval
- Instrument that will be used to monitor session attendance
- Program and presenter evaluation form for approval
- Letter of support from a faculty member affiliated with The Ohio State University
- Application fee:
- One contact hour equals .1 Ohio State CEU.
- A non-refundable $100 fee is assessed for each application. After the conference/program, this will be applied to the $300 minimum fee for the first twenty or less applicants. For additional applicants, over 20, there is a fee of $15 per applicant.
- Applications not received by the Office of Distance Education and eLearning 30 days prior to the event date will be assessed a $20 late fee.
- Check(s), Money Order(s), Purchase Orders, eRequests or org/fund/acct# (for Ohio State internal transfers) should be made payable to The Ohio State University and must be submitted with the application. This is a non-refundable application fee.
- Application fee includes:
- Review and certification of the qualifications of instructors
- Evaluation of course materials to determine the number of CEUs to certify
- Evaluate program from attendee’s point of view and assess evaluations
- Store all materials and respond to inquiries from participants for five years
- Maintain verification of attendance forms for five years
- Purchase and prepare certificates
Once materials are received with the application fee, they will be reviewed and a notification of approval will be sent in writing.
Submit the following post-event materials to the Office of Distance Education and eLearning:
- Summary of program evaluations
- Session attendance documents