Distance Education Strategic Goals
- Align distance education programs with university, state, federal, and accreditation laws and requirements
- Implement a funding model that is beneficial for Ohio State and its Colleges and Schools, as well as self-sustaining for the Office of Distance Education and eLearning
- Create and coordinate transparent policies and processes for developing distance education programs
- Set baseline success measures such as student satisfaction rates and graduate rates
- Ranked in US News & World Report Online Education for each distance education program
Learn more in our ODEE Strategic Plan
The guiding principles of our distance education program are value, quality and rigor. These distinguish us from the busy and competitive field of distance education. Focusing on the differentiating factors of our degrees when communicating to potential students will clearly mark the value of an Ohio State online degree.
ValueOur focus will be on programs that are available 100% at a distance. This enables us to serve a larger set of potential students who may not be able to come to campus due to work or life commitments. The courses are developed in collaboration between OSU’s nationally recognized faculty and our instructional design experts.
QualityIt is essential that we uphold the integrity and quality of an Ohio State degree. Students are held to the same high admissions standards and the caliber of student admitted to our distance programs is equal to that of our on-campus programs.
RigorConsistent, rigorous course experiences both on-campus and at a distance are what produce students who are prepared for their future careers. Unlike many competitors that house distance faculty in a distance college, and hire many of these faculty on a temporary or term-by-term basis, Ohio State Online students are taught by the same faculty from the same colleges as their on-campus peers and held to the same rigorous course standards.
Plan for Growth
The growth of our distance education initiative is important. Equally important is that we grow responsibly and with the highest regard to quality. Our strategic plan is to develop 15 new distance education programs by the end of fiscal year 2018 and continue to expand our online general education course offerings.