News & Renovations
Autumn 2020 Updates
As part of The Ohio State University’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Classroom Services team was on campus from June - August 2020 preparing for the return of students during autumn semester. To allow for the requirements of physical distancing, every classroom on campus had to be evaluated, designed and staged.
Some spaces that are not usually utilized for instruction were also added into the pool of classrooms, such as ballrooms in the Ohio Union, Mershon Auditorium, the 4-H Center and the Fawcett Center for Tomorrow. Regular classrooms which were too small to be effectively used as classrooms were set for social distancing then designated as “drop-in” spaces, to be used by students who have back-to-back online and in-person classes.
In the three months prior to Autumn Semester, the Classroom Services team completed the following work:
- Evaluated technology and space in 400+ classrooms
- Designed physical distancing layouts of all classrooms
- Applied approximately 22,000 stickers to designate which seats to use for physical distancing, reminding students and instructors to clean tools and desks and designate instructor areas
- Set up approximately 35 “novel spaces” for use as classrooms, including furniture, labeling and technology installation
- Installed webcams in all classrooms to allow for use of Zoom in hybrid classes and for quarantined students
- Deployed document cameras to allow whiteboard functionality to be viewable simultaneously via Zoom and by in-person attendees
- Photographed and documented all features for all classrooms for display on the classroom search website
- Staged public computing spaces for physical distancing
- Staged all Digital Union locations for physical distancing
- Launched a new video studio in the Denney Hall Digital Union supporting the creation of online course materials.
- Completed full renovations of Hagerty 159, 180 and 186 and installations into the newly constructed Fontana Labs building
- Hired and trained a new student support staff, including COVID procedures, and supporting instructors in the use of Zoom in classrooms
- Coordinated 150 support professionals across campus via Teams to support classroom spaces
- Loaned microphones to assist with voice lift for instructors wearing masks
- Added 19 buildings across campus to our zone system for quick support of classroom technology issues
Classroom renovations and upgrades are in the planning stages for future breaks.
Information about building and campus renovation and construction projects is available from OSU Facilities Operations and Development.
Smith Laboratory 1042, 1048, 1064, 1076, 1138, 1149, 1150, 1180, 1186, 2006, 2144, 2150, 2180, 2186
|Summer 2020||Autumn 2020|
Hagerty Hall 159, 180, 186
|Summer 2020||Autumn 2020|
|Denney Hall 202, 206, 207, 209, 213, 214, 238, 245, 250, 253, 262, 265, 268|
Stillman Hall 135
|May 2020||Autumn 2020||A/V System|
|Mendenhall Lab 100|
Journalism Building 300
|Spring Break 2020||A/V System|
|Mendenhall Lab 115, 125, 129, 131, 173, 174 , 175, 185, 191||Spring 2020||Spring 2020||A/V System|
|Derby Hall 29||Autumn 2019||Spring 2020|
|Drinko Hall 354||Autumn 2019||Spring 2020|
|Ramseyer Hall 009, 100|
Lazenby 002, 002, 018, 034
|Autumn 2019||During Autumn 2019||A/V System|
|Stillman Hall 100|
|December 2019||Spring 2020||A/V System|