Student Handbook

General Information for Extended Education Students

Making an Appointment with Your Academic Advisor

You can locate your assigned advisor by logging into your Student Center. Select “details” for his or her contact information. If you would like to meet with an advisor you may schedule an appointment online at or by calling our office at (614) 292-8860.

Know Your Responsibilities

  • You are ultimately responsible for the courses you enroll and/or meeting the requirements of your desired program or prerequisites.
  • You are responsible for knowing your current schedule. You can find this at BuckeyeLink.
  • You are responsible for knowing whether or not you are on a waitlist. You can find this at BuckeyeLink.
  • You are responsible for checking your schedule and statement of account regularly to see if you have been added to a class from the waitlist. You will not be added to any classes from the waitlist after the first Friday of classes (after the first day of 4-week session classes).
  • You are responsible for officially dropping courses you have stopped attending.
  • You are responsible for checking your campus email regularly. The university and its colleges and departments send official notices and information to your email account. Advisors can only send advising information to your OSU account. If you choose to have your e-mail forwarded to another email account, you may not receive official Ohio State mail, including scheduling, academic progress, and graduation information. You are responsible for ensuring your email account is capable of receiving “” email and for checking your e-mail account frequently. If you are having problems, contact OCIO at 688-HELP.
  • You are responsible for checking the prerequisites to ALL classes for which you sign up. The web registration system is not programmed to enforce all prerequisites.
  • You are responsible for understanding your tuition and fees (.) and resolving issues with the appropriate office (financial aid, Bursars Office, etc.).
  • You are responsible for knowing the university's policies and procedures, including important dates. ( , BuckeyeLink)
  • You are responsible for the manner in which you interact with members of the university community. Be courteous and respectful in class, meetings, activities and when communicating via phone and email.
  • You are responsible for viewing your grades. Grades can be viewed in your Student Center through BuckeyeLink.

Student Health Insurance

International students

International students are required to purchase the Comprehensive OSU Student Health Insurance Plan. International students who wish to submit a request for exemption from coverage will need to complete an International Student Health Insurance Waiver from. See  for additional information.

U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents 

While international students are required to have health insurance, domestic Extended Education students are not eligible for student health insurance. Under certain circumstances, students may petition for enrollment. Please contact your advisor for petitioning details.

If your petition is granted, the premium will be posted to your University account. You will be required to maintain enrollment in the plan for each term granted unless you no longer meet the minimum criteria for eligibility. This petition is valid for one plan year. To continue coverage into the next year, a new petition must be submitted at the beginning of the Autumn Semester, by the published deadline to enroll in the Student Health Insurance Plan. 

Student Financial Aid

If you are planning to seek Federal Student Financial Aid assistance for your non-degree enrollment, be sure to carefully review the federal financial aid information for non-degree seekers at

The Extended Education Non-Degree Form is required to receive aid and must be signed and completed by the student and an academic advisor (or authorized college representative) in the student’s proposed college or program. This form cannot be signed by anyone within Extended Education. If you have questions concerning which college or department should sign the form, you should your assigned advisor

Code of Student Conduct, Committee on Academic Misconduct, and Plagiarism

Students who enroll at Ohio State agree to abide by the Code of Student Conduct. Each student is responsible for becoming familiar with the rules and regulations of The Ohio State University. The Office of Student Judicial Affairs has prepared the following synopsis of the Code of Student Conduct: “The code exists to protect the persons, their rights and the property of the University community. The code applies to the conduct of all students and registered student organizations while on University premises; while on professional practice assignment; on assignment which is associated with academic course requirements; or while involved with a University-related activity or a registered student organization activity. There are certain types of conduct which may lead to disciplinary action against a student or student organization in addition to criminal charges in some cases.”

Student Conduct also refers to academic integrity in coursework. The Committee on Academic Misconduct (COAM) discusses behaviors included under academic misconduct in its Frequently Asked Questions.  COAM also provides a list of Ten Suggestions for Preserving Academic Integrity to give students a basis on which to base their conduct. Furthermore, additional information on what accounts for plagiarism and how to avoid it can be found on the COAM website at . Finally, some instructors have begun using Turnitin as part of their coursework submission requirements and include a Carmen Dropbox folder for this process. The Turnitin Suite provides OriginalityCheck, GradeMark, and PeerMark as a way to review the originality of students work in comparison to the work submitted by others.

Returning to the University

Returning from Leave of Absence

Any time you do not take courses in autumn or spring semester, you student will be placed on a Leave of Absence. In order to reactivate your status as a student within Extended Education, you must complete a Return from Leave of Absence form. An Extended Education student can request to reactivate your enrollment on the Returning Students page. You will receive an email confirming your submission and a second email after the form has been processed. This form is applicable only to Extended Education students returning to Extended Education.


Students who have been academically dismissed from the university can petition for reinstatement to the university after waiting for a period of two semesters. Reinstatement is not guaranteed, and simple desire to return is not sufficient support for a petition.

Petitioning students need to prove they are now ready to succeed if they are allowed to return to the university. It is advisable to take academic course work at another institution during your time away from Ohio State, to demonstrate that you are capable of succeeding in quality college-level work. See an academic advisor if you are interested in attending another institution to help guide your course decisions for transfer back to Ohio State.

Once a student is approved for reinstatement, the student will be placed on academic probation until their cumulative point-hour ratio reaches 2.0 or above.

The published university deadlines for submitting a reinstatement petition are as follows: 

Autumn Semester

June 1*

Spring Semester

October 1*

Summer Term

February 1*

*Or the first business day following, if these dates fall on a weekend.

Fresh Start

If you have not been enrolled at the university for a full 5 (or more) years, you may petition to return using the Fresh Start Rule (Faculty Rule 3335-8-261). Students who have a cumulative point-hour ratio (CPHR) under a 2.0 or who have been dismissed from the university may want to petition to use Fresh Start. This will eliminate any deficiency points that you may have earned previously and will let you start at Ohio State with a CPHR of 0.00.

While all courses will remain on your permanent record, only courses in which you received a C- or higher will be counted for credit. Other course work will not be counted for credit towards any requirement, or toward graduation. You will return to Ohio State with a recalculated CPHR of 0.00. Should you become degree seeking, you must complete a minimum of 30 semester credit hours after using the Fresh Start Rule before you are eligible to graduate.  

You should meet with an advisor to review the policies and procedures to help you understand the consequences of using the Fresh Start.

Keep in mind that if you are considering applying to graduate or professional schools, or even to other undergraduate programs at Ohio State, their admission processes may look at all of your grades and recalculate the original grade(s) into your total.

Scheduling Classes

To maximize your chances of getting into the courses you want, schedule as soon as your enrollment appointment begins. You should begin planning your schedule well ahead of your enrollment appointment.

Scheduling Considerations

As you plan your schedule for each term, consider these issues:

  • Why are you taking the course you are scheduling?
  • Is the course part of a sequence, and, are you able to proceed through the sequence in a timely way? (For example, a student who takes one or two semesters of a foreign language, then waits a year or more before taking the next course without practicing learned language skills may have difficulties in the next sequential course. Avoid these situations—plan how you will proceed through sequenced courses.)
  • Is the course required a program you are considering? Is it a prerequisite to a required course?

Auditing a Course

You may choose to audit a course in order to refresh yourself on the material or to learn more about a subject without wanting to earn a letter grade. Fees are assessed for auditing a course, but no credit hours are awarded. You cannot audit a course and then later take the course for a grade. Auditing a course requires the permission of the instructor and the permission of your college office, through your academic advisor.

Pass/Non Pass Course

  • You may take a maximum of 30 credit hours of electives on a pass/non-pass (PA/NP) basis.
  • Speak with your advisor to determine eligibility
  • You cannot take general education, major, minor, or prerequisite courses pass/non-pass.
  • You must have a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA to use the pass/non-pass option.

You must request the pass/non-pass grading option using the course enrollment permission form.

Steps to Take Before Scheduling

  • Review advising notes. Review advising notes in AdvisingConnect (
  • Consult your academic advisor (s) for guidance in selecting courses. Note: Plan to see your academic advisor well before your registration appointment. If you wait, you may not be able to get a meeting until after your registration appointment begins, and you will lose valuable scheduling priority. The planning process for scheduling for future semesters is ongoing, and much of the work can be done well in advance. The longer you wait to plan and to see your academic advisor, the more likely you will have fewer courses to choose from when you’re finally ready to schedule.
  • Plan a tentative schedule. Make sure you have backup choices in case your first-choice courses are no longer available when your registration appointment begins. If you plan to, note your enrollment appointment time. 

Planning Resources

  • Course Offering Bulletin, Course Catalog, Schedule of Classes  (
  • Department and College Offices and Web Sites
    • Provide information about requirements, and opportunities, etc.
    • May offer course syllabi for review.
  • GE Sheets and Major Information Sheets
    • GE & Curriculum Sheets can be obtained from the department website or major advisors.
  • Degree Audits and Advising Reports (unofficial transcript)
    • Degree Audit shows how the courses you have taken are applied to degree requirements in different majors.
    • Advising Reports are unofficial transcripts that show your academic history in chronological order. This is used as a tool and does not determine your eligibility in degree programs.

Class Search

To see the available course offerings for a particular semester, visit My Student Center. You can

search by department name and course number to obtain information not only about what courses are offered, but also about the number of seats that remain open in the course. Courses offered in multiple sections will provide that information for all sections of the course.

The university has also produced two helpful videos demonstrating how to search for and enroll in classes. These videos review searching for classes and enrolling in classes. In My Student Center, click on the Class Search tab and use the pull-down menu to select the term (semester and year) for which you would like to schedule. Select the preferred Term and click Go. Note, on semesters there will be an Autumn and Spring Semester, May term and Summer session. Both the Autumn and Spring Semesters will also have sessions within them. Next, select the department name (Course Subject), and type in the course number for which you want to search. Click Search.

The result is an up-to-date listing of the sections, times, and room locations for the course you have searched. It also provides current information about whether or not the course is still open. Don’t forget to expand the “View All Sections” area to see ALL of the available sections for a course.

Types of Courses

When you a reviewing the course catalog and class schedule you will notice that classes have an abbreviated course component type next to each piece of the class. Those components let you know what kind of class it is and how it will be taught.

LEC– LEC stands for lecture.  Lecture, usually a larger class size where general information is taught to the group

REC– REC stands for recitation (reh-si-tay-shun). Recitation, generally a smaller subgroup of a larger class where an instructor goes over homework problems, answers questions, administers quizzes, etc.

LAB– LAB stands for lab.  Lab, a longer class period where a student completes lab work; this is also used for performing and visual arts studios/ensembles and may be connected to a LEC or REC.

SEM– SEM stands for seminar. Seminar classes tend to be smaller in size and more discussion oriented.

Schedule Planner

Schedule Planner is a web-based class scheduling system that allows a student to select courses from the Schedule of Classes, block out “breaks” for studying or work schedules, and check whether there are available schedules that fit those constraints. Schedule Planner is integrated with SIS and is located within your Student Center.  

Adding Classes

It is best to finalize your schedule by the first Friday of the semester or session. For a full list of deadlines, visit the web page.

  • You can add a class online by the first Friday of the semester (by the first day of class for a 4-week session class).
  • You can add a class, with instructor permission, after the first Friday and before 5:00 p.m. on the second Friday of the semester (by the first Friday of class for a 4-week session class).
  • After the second Friday of the semester (after the first Friday of a 4-week session class), you cannot add a class except by approved petition. You will need supporting evidence for your circumstances, such as your attendance record. Your petition may or may not be approved.

If the section you are interested in is full, you may be given the option to waitlist for that section. You are added into a class from the waitlist on a "first-on, first-off" basis as space becomes available that fits your schedule. You should attend the first week of classes if your waitlist number is low. The waitlist closes after the first Friday of the semester. You will not be added to any classes from the waitlist after the first Friday of classes (after the first day of 4-week session classes). You are responsible for checking your schedule and statement of account regularly to see if you have been added to a class from the waitlist. 

Dropping Classes

Visit the University Registrar’s website for specific dates related to dropping classes/withdrawing from the university. Before you drop, a reduction in hours due to a class drop (or a withdrawal from the university) may affect:

  • Financial aid (including scholarships, grants, loans, Consortium Agreements). Contact the Student Service Center (SSC) to talk with a staff person before doing anything to your schedule.
  • Benefits received under the G.I. Bill (614-247-VETS (8387)).
  • A tuition reduction received when parents work for the university (614-292-1050).
  • Automobile insurance, if you receive discounts for being a full-time student.
  • Health insurance, if you need to be a full-time student to be covered on a parent's policy.
  • Your tuition assistance benefit, if you are a university employee (614-292-1050).

Withdrawal from the University  

Before you withdraw from your course work, you should consult with your academic advisor. For questions related to fees and financial aid as a result of withdrawing from classes or taking a leave of absence, please contact the Student Service Center (SSC).

Paying Your Tuition and Fees

How to Pay

The Tuition and Fees tables and an explanation of fees can be found at Fees may be paid using ePayment online through the Student Center. If you are interested in making a payment in person or via mail, please note that cash is not accepted. Checks and money orders should be made payable to The Ohio State University and must include the student’s account number (student ID number).

If you are using ePayment, sign into Student Center at Click the Make Payment button in the Finances section and choose from the payment options listed below:

  • Electronic check payments: Make an online payment from your checking or savings account using your routing and account numbers. The account must be located within the United States.

Credit cards: Ohio State currently accepts Discover, Master Card, VISA and American Express. Note: A 2.75% non-refundable convenience fee is charged by the credit card company per transaction.

  • Guardian access: Authorize a guardian(s) to make payments. Guardians can also link accounts for more than one student.
  • Mail a payment: To mail a check or money order select the Mail a Payment button to generate a payment coupon. Sending payment without a coupon may result in delays in posting the payment to the account.
  • Foreign currency: Make an online payment using foreign currency. Note: Currency conversion rates are updated daily and are effective for 72 hours after the point of transaction. Foreign currency ePayments are pending until the wire transfer of funds from the bank is completed.

Tuition Option Payment Plan

The Tuition Option Payment Plan (TOPP) allows you to split the cost of fees and other eligible university expenses into several payments per term. You must sign up for TOPP each semester and pay an enrollment fee, which is due with the first installment.

To enroll in TOPP, follow these steps:

  1. Go to
  2. Select My Buckeye Link under the Essential Tasks heading
  3. Log in with your Ohio State username and password
  4. Select Tuition Option Payment Plan (TOPP) located in Payments and Refunds
  5. Select the payment plan and click Next
  6. Review the installment schedule and click Next
  7. Agree to the terms of the payment plan and click Enroll
  8. Review your confirmation page

Academic Enrichment

Undergraduate Research

The Undergraduate Research Office guides undergraduate students at Ohio State in the pursuit of research experience and opportunities. If you find that research interests you please visit, for information on:

  • Defining a research topic
  • Identifying a potential faculty advisor to work with
  • How to a faculty member for a research arrangement

Furthermore, there is information on presenting at research Forums, including the Denman Undergraduate Research Forum at The Ohio State University, publishing in journals, finding funding, and writing an undergraduate research thesis. For additional information please visit the Undergraduate Research Office, located at 53 W 11th Ave, by calling 614-292-8307, or emailing

Preparing for Graduate Study

Extended Education students preparing for graduate study should review the Graduate School information for prospective students at There you will find information on preparing for graduate school, graduate programs, applying to graduate school, and graduate school contact information.

University Resources for Extended Education Students

Many academic departments offer free tutoring for groups or maintain lists of qualified tutors who can provide help to students. An advisor can get information on these tutoring services by contacting the department office responsible for the subject in which help is needed. 

Digital Union

Five Digital Union’s exist on the Ohio State campus to assist students, faculty, and staff in the creation of digital content:  spreadsheets, videos, presentations, and graphic documents to just name a few. Digital Unions are located in Denney, Enarson, Hagerty, Prior, and Stillman. For hours, contact information, and exact locations, please go to

Mathematics Tutoring Resources

Many resources are available for students having difficulty in a particular mathematics course and needing assistance. They may be:

  • A course instructor. Instructors are available during their posted or announced office hours, or at other times by appointment. Evening instructors may be available before or after class.
  • The Math Counseling Office. They are located in room 250 of the Mathematics Building and may be of assistance in placement, retesting, and general difficulties and concerns related to math courses. They can be contacted at (614) 292-6994 or via email at Additional information, including office hours, is available at:
  • Mathematics and Statistics Learning Center (MSLC). The MSLC provides undergraduate students in Mathematics and Statistics with free tutoring, review materials, and workshops. Information about their services can be found on their website,

Office of Diversity and Inclusion

The Office of Diversity and Inclusion (ODI), formerly the Office of Minority Affairs (OMA), was created in 1970 to provide leadership for The Ohio State University in supporting the success of minority students, faculty, and staff. ODI directly serves and celebrates the contributions of African Americans, Appalachians, Asian Americans, Pacific Islanders, Native Americans and Hispanic Americans. The office emphasizes the recruitment, retention, and timely graduation of undergraduate, graduate, and professional students. ODI promotes a welcoming climate and serves in an advocacy role for minority individuals both at Ohio State and in the larger community. Their office is located in 102 Bricker Hall, 190 N. Oval Mall. Their telephone number is (614) 292-4355. Additional information can be found at their web address,

Office of International Affairs (OIA)

Through OIA, international students and scholars can find out about the types of visas needed for their stay in the United States, links to academic programs, how to pay their tuition, housing options, an overview of the campus, life in Columbus, and much more.

Immigration coordinators offer information regarding immigration regulations, orientation sessions, and provide social, cultural, and educational programming. All of these services help ensure that international students, scholars, and their families have the opportunity to achieve their academic, and personal goals during their time at Ohio State.  Foreign students and scholars are encouraged to become actively involved in the university community and the community at large for their benefit and for the benefit of the Ohio State community. OIA is located in 300 Oxley Hall, 1712 Neil Avenue, Columbus, Ohio 43210. Their telephone number is (614) 292-6101. Complete information about their services can be found on their web site,

Office of Student Life 

The Office of Student Life provides many services free to all currently enrolled Ohio State students. Each student's needs and background are unique, and each department offers a variety of support and services to help them be successful. Their programs and services foster student learning and development, enhance the educational experience, and prepare students for their chosen professions and to be contributing members of a diverse global society.

Disability Services (ODS)

This office coordinates physical and academic support services for students with mobility, hearing, visual or learning disabilities. Many services are offered, e.g. access guides and tactual maps, diagnostic testing, reader/typing services, advising, peer support groups, adapted transportation, priority scheduling, and others. ODS is available to students with permanent or temporary disabilities. Disability parking is available for students with temporary and permanent disabilities who find it impossible to walk to class. Adapted transportation is also available. ODS is located in 150 Pomerene Hall, 1760 Neil Avenue. They can be reached via phone at (614) 292-3307 or email at Additional information may be found at

Neighborhood Services and Collaboration & Off-Campus and Commuter Student Engagement 

OCSSE provides programs and services to meet the needs of off-campus and commuter students, and addresses the needs of persons wishing to live and engage in the University District and local community. This office is located at 3106 Ohio Union, 1739 N. High St, Columbus, Ohio 43210. They may be contacted via phone at (614) 292-0100 or e-mail address at Some of the services they offer include:

  • Off-Campus Housing
  • Housing Search
  • Roommate Resources
  • Landlord Resources
  • Commuter Services

Complete information about their programs and services can be found on their web site

Student Advocacy Center

This center helps advocate for you with other entities on campus, mediate with your professors, help you determine whether or not you need to withdraw from classes, etc.

The Student Advocacy Center helps by:

  • Answering students’ questions
  • Directing students to appropriate staff and departments
  • Giving students general guidance on university policies and procedures

Student Advocacy is located in 1120 Lincoln Tower, at 1800 Cannon Drive. They can be reached at (614) 292-1111 or via email at Additional information may be found on their website at, 

Student Health Services 

Student Health Services at the Wilce Student Health Center is a joint commission accredited outpatient facility providing a variety of health services to the student population. All students enrolled at Ohio State are eligible to use the health services, regardless of health insurance coverage.  There are fees for all services performed at the Student Health Center. Lab tests, X-rays, supplies, drugs, special procedures, physical exams, nutrition visits, physical therapy, injections, prescriptions, dental procedures, and eye exams when not covered by health insurance are charged to the student. Payment is expected at the time of the procedure. The Wilce Health Center is located at 1875 Millikin Road, Columbus, Ohio. Their telephone number is (614) 292-0113. You can contact them via e-mail at Their web site has a complete list of the services they offer and the hours they are open.

Student Wellness Center

The Student Wellness Center is located in room B130 in the RPAC, provides students with information on alcohol and tobacco use, financial education and coaching, healthy eating and active living, healthy relationships, sexual violence education and support, and stress and sleep. Additional information can be found by contacting the office at, via phone at 614-292-4527, or on their website at

The Younkin Success Center 

The Younkin Success Center is located at 1640 Neil Avenue. It houses many Student Life services. These include the bulleted list below, as well as free tutoring in Mathematics, Physics, and Chemistry. Additional information can be found on their website at, via phone at 614-292-4400, or email at

  • Buckeye Careers, located on the 2nd floor of the Younkin Success Center, is a university-wide initiative designed to support students' academic success, professional development, and career exploration, with a strong focus on connecting them to internship and employment opportunities with local, national, and global organizations, as well as applying to graduate school. The program is comprised of three components: Buckeye Internships, Buckeye OnPace, and Buckeye Careers Network.  These three initiatives work in collaboration with all university career services to offer a customized approach to resources and services - from selecting a major to starting a career - for undergraduate, graduate and professional students of any major.  Employers are also able to participate in programming and services under the Buckeye Careers program. Additionally information can be found at, or emailing
  • Career Counseling and Support Services, located on the 2nd floor of the Younkin Success Center, works closely with the Ohio State Career Services office. Career Counseling and Support Services provides students with information regarding careers, majors, job and internship strategies, resume and cover letter writing assistance, and assistance in finding one’s own strengths, and works closely with Ohio State’s Career Services office. Services are free of charge to ALL students currently enrolled at Ohio State. Additional information can be found at, or by calling 614-688-3898 or emailing
  • Counseling and Consultation Services is one of the services they have available. This service offers personal, social, and career counseling as well as workshops on a variety of topics, such as academic effectiveness, stress management, human sexuality, interpersonal communication and sex-role related issues. Services are available to all students enrolled in credit courses at Ohio State. The office telephone number is (614) 292-5766 and they can be contacted via e-mail at Additional information can be found on their web site,
  • Walter E. Dennis Learning Lab (, provides Learning Specialists who work with Ohio State students to examine academic strengths and weaknesses, and explore strategies that lead to success in college. In addition, they offer three courses that can be beneficial to our students. These courses are ES EPSY 1159 (Online Learning Strategies and Skills); ES EPSY 1259 (Learning and Motivation Strategies for Success); and ES EPSY 1359 (Technology Enhanced Learning Strategies), 

Office of Veteran and Military Students

The Office of Military and Veterans Services, in Enrollment Services and Undergraduate Education, provides academic advising and benefits consultation to all students who are eligible through being a:

  • Military Veteran
  • Service member in the Guard or Reserve Units
  • Dependents and Spouses of Military Veterans
  • Active Duty Service members

In addition to your college advisor, the Office of Military and Veterans Services has a full time academic advisor, Brad Fittes.  If you would like general advising questions--Brad is a resource for you (email:, phone: 614-292-6908)

Additional information on the services provided by the office can be found at, or by contacting the office by email, via phone at 614-247-VETS (8387).  You may visit the office at the Student Academic Services Building, located in room 185 at 281 W. Lane Ave. 

Parking and Transportation Services

  • CampusParc:  Students can purchase parking permits through CampusParc. Permits can be purchased in person at their South Campus Gateway location, 1560 North High St, Columbus, OH 43201, or through their web site, Information about permit eligibility, where to park, citations, and visitor parking can be found there as well.
  • Transportation and Traffic Management:  Information regarding CABS bus services, charter buses, and vehicle rentals is available on the site. CABS is a free service provided by The Ohio State University in which no fare is charged and no ID is required to ride the buses which will take you around the Columbus Campus.  You can find additional information on these services on their web site at
  • Central Ohio Transit Authority (COTA):  Every paid student taking courses held in classrooms on the Columbus Campus pays a COTA fee, a fee which is included in the fees charged each term. This fee entitles the student to ride any COTA bus anytime during that quarter without paying a fare. Students only need to show their current Ohio State student picture ID to get on the bus. This fee is not optional. Information regarding COTA use and a link to their website can be found at

University Libraries 

The libraries on The Ohio State University Columbus campus—University Libraries, the Moritz Law Library, and the Prior Health Sciences Library—have a combined collection size of nearly 5.8 million volumes and regularly receive approximately 35,000 serial titles.

University Libraries consists of the Thompson (Main) Library and a number of department libraries and other specialized collections. The Thompson Library is now open after a major renovation. University Libraries is also a member of OhioLink, a statewide library and information network linking the major academic and community college libraries in Ohio, as well as the State Library.

The Thompson Library provides materials and services related to the humanities and social sciences. The department libraries support the course work and research of faculty, graduate students, and upper-division undergraduate students in various fields of study. Each library provides access to the Libraries’ online catalog/circulation system (OSCAR), as well as to indexes, abstracts and bibliographies pertinent to its subject area(s). Librarians familiar with the subject areas and who are experts in associated research are available for consultation. Complete information about the libraries can be found on their web site,

Writing Resources

The Writing Center is part of the Center for The Study and Teaching of Writing and the main office is located in 412A Smith Lab. They also maintain a satellite center in the first floor of Thompson Library, in Smith-Steeb Hall, and online via CarmenConnect. The Writing Center offers free help with every stage of the writing process for any member of the university community.  Information about their services and location hours can be found on their web site,, or via e-mail at or telephone at (614) 688-5865. 

Calculating Your Cumulative Grade Point Average

It is essential for you to know how to calculate your Semester point-hour ratio (SEMHR) and your cumulative point-hour ratio (CPHR.) In order to set academic goals, which help lead to success, it is important to understand how success is measured.

Ohio State, like most universities, grades on the four-point scale. An A is worth 4 points, a B is worth 3 points, a C is worth 2 points, a D is worth 1 point, and an E is worth 0 points. Ohio State also has a plus and minus grading system to help make finer distinctions within the A, B, C, D, E scale. 

Grading Scale



Credit Value

























Additional marks which are not included in GPA calculation are:

S/U = Satisfactory/


PA/NP = Pass/Non-Pass

EM = Examination Credit

K = Transfer Credit

NG= No Grade Reported


I=Incomplete **

(Note: There is no D-, E+ or A+)

**Incomplete grades change to a final grade that will be part of your SEMPHR/CPHR calculation after the final grade posts. It is your responsibility to work with your instructor to understand what needs to be done to complete the course and to establish a timeline for turning in late work.

A student's point-hour ratio is calculated by taking the total number of points earned and dividing it by the number of hours attempted for a grade. First, multiply the credit hour value of each course by the point value of the grade. For example, a three-hour course in which you earn a B (3.0) is worth 9 points. Second, total the points you have earned in all your courses. Finally, divide by the number of hours you have attempted for a letter grade.



Course #









































This student's semester point-hour ratio (SEMHR) would be 3.07 (43 points divided by 14 hours attempted.) The student's term point hour ratio and cumulative point-hour ratio (CPHR) would be the same, given that this is the student's first semester of enrollment at

After subsequent semesters at Ohio State, you must calculate the cumulative point hour ratio (CPHR) by dividing total points earned by total hours attempted for a letter grade (not including S/U, PA/NP, EM, or K credit*.) Using our previous example, consider the following grades as the student's second semester at Ohio State:


Course #









































Remember, last semester the student earned a 3.07. The SEMHR for the second semester would be a 2.77(36 points divided by 13 hours). The student's cumulative point hour ratio (CPHR) would be found by dividing the total number of points earned (43 + 36 = 79) by the total number of hours attempted (14 + 13=27). The CPHR would then be 2.93. By earning these grades and maintaining a cumulative point-hour ratio well above the minimum standard of 2.00 required for graduation, the student in our example is considered to be in academic "good standing.”

Deficiency Points System

The deficiency point system is based upon the point values assigned to the various grades which professors assign to student performance. The point values of the grades are:

A  =  4.0            B-  =  2.7                      D+  =   1.3

A- =  3.7            C+ =  2.3                      D     =  1.0

B+  =  3.3          C   =  2.0                      E     =   0.0

B    =  3.0          C-  = 1.7                       EN  =   0.0

The University’s minimum academic standard is a C, which means that the student must average 2.0 on all the courses attempted.  This average is computed by multiplying the credit hours attempted by the point value of the grades received.  An A in a 4 credit hour course, for example, would give the student 16 credit points (4 x 4.0).  Since the minimum is only 8 credit points (4 x 2.0), this student would have 8 points more than the minimum.  On the other hand, a grade of D (4 hours with a 1.0) would yield only 4 credit points.  Since 8 points are needed to meet the minimum, the student would be deficient 4 points. 

Any grade above a C (C+. B-, B. B+, A-, or A) will remove deficiency points.  Any grade below that minimum (C-, D+, D, E, EN) will add deficiency points unless counterbalanced by surplus points.  A grade of C, the minimum, will neither remove nor add deficiency points. 

EXAMPLE:           On a schedule of 13 credit hours, a student earns these grades:

Course                    Hours              Grade                       Points

Min. Required            13                     C                      (13 x 2.0)     26                         

English 1110                 3                     C                      (3 X 2.0)       6

Biology 1101                 4                     D                      (4 X 1.0)       4

Psych 1100                   3                     C                      (3 X 2.0)       6

Theatre 2100                   3                    D                      (3 X 1.0)       3


  Deficiency Points = 7          

The minimum required credit points are 26; this student has earned 19 credit points, so the student has 7 deficiency points.  If the student enrolls in one 4 hour course during the next semester and earns a B (3.0), the student will receive 12 credit points (4 x 3.0), 4 more than the necessary minimum of 8 (4 x 2.0), thereby reducing the 7 deficiency points to 3 deficiency points.

Dean’s List

At the end of each semester the Dean’s List is generated for fulltime enrolled students who maintained a 3.5 grade point average while taking at least 12.0 credit hours during the semester. 

After each Spring semester the Part Time Dean’s List is generated for part-time students who maintained a 3.5 or better cumulative grade point average and took at least 12.0 credit hours over the course of the three-semester period. The Dean’s List designation is posted to the student’s transcript.

Academic Difficulty

If you are experiencing academic difficulty with courses, you should see your academic advisor as soon as possible to discuss the issues that may be affecting your academic performance and options.

Repeating a Course

Non-degree seeking students may repeat a course for a better grade or to refresh knowledge.  Students applying to professional school may need to repeat courses taken more than a specified number of years in order to meet professional program admission qualifications.

You may repeat any course once, regardless of the grade you received when you completed it the first time. If you wish to repeat a course more than once, you will need to meet with your academic advisor to petition for this request. Some colleges with high demand, limited seating courses may have policies on repeating a course.

If you do not qualify for the Grade Forgiveness Rule, both grades will count in your cumulative grade-point average.

Grade Forgiveness

The Grade Forgiveness Rule permits students to petition to repeat up to three courses.   The grade in the repeated course will replace the grade for the original course in the calculation of the student’s cumulative point-hour ratio. Only a first repeat of a course can be used this way. A notation of the original grade will remain on the student’s transcript.

Students seeking to invoke the rule must submit a petition to their college offices/enrollment units by the second Friday of the term (or the first Friday of a 4-week session) in which they are repeating the course.  Consult with your advisor to discuss policies and your eligibility to invoke the rule.

Keep in mind that if you are considering applying to graduate programs or professional schools, or even to some colleges at Ohio State, all of your grades will be considered in the admissions process (including those forgiven under the Grade Forgiveness Rule), and program or school may recalculate the original grade(s) into your cumulative GPA.

When your cumulative grade-point average falls below a 2.0 you are considered to be in academic difficulty.  This can lead to academic warning, probation, or even dismissal. University information on warning and probation is found at

  • The repeated course must be taken for a letter grade (not as pass/non-pass).
  • Once the student has invoked the rule, the second grade will be used to replace the first, even if the second grade earned is lower. Students who passed the course the first time and fail it the second, will lose credit for the course.
  • A student will not be permitted to invoke the rule after
    • earning a grade in the repeated course
    • having already repeated the course once
    • having repeated three courses under the rule
  • A student cannot invoke the rule for courses that have been
    • applied to a degree already awarded by The Ohio State University
    • applied, as transfer credit, to a degree awarded elsewhere

Academic Warning

Per University rule 3335-9-24 (B), “If, at the end of his or her first semester, summer term, or session, a student subject to the provisions of rule 3335-9-23 of the Administrative Code has earned a point-hour ratio below 2.00, he or she may receive a warning from the dean of his or her college or director of his or her school instead of being placed on probation.”  Extended Education students in their first semester, summer term, or session, at Ohio State who earn a cumulative point-hour ratio below a 2.00 with 10 or fewer deficiency points will be placed on warning.

The student will receive a letter indicating academic status and a Schedule Lock will be placed on the student account. The student placed on academic warning status who does not raise their cumulative point-hour ratio to 2.0 or greater in their second semester, summer term, or session of enrollment will be placed on academic probation. If the student’s cumulative point-hour ratio reaches a 2.0 or higher the academic warning status will be removed.

Academic Probation

Per University rule 3335-9-25 (A), “Any student whose cumulative point-hour ratio has fallen below a 2.00 shall be placed on probation. The probation shall continue provided the student’s college considers the student’s progress to be satisfactory and shall be removed when the cumulative point-hour ratio has reached a 2.0.”  Extended Education students whose cumulative point-hour ratio has fallen below a 2.00 will be placed on academic probation.

Students placed on academic probation will receive a letter indicating their status and a Schedule Lock will be placed on their account. While on academic probation, a student must earn at or above a 2.3 point-hour ratio for each semester, summer term, or session, of enrollment. While on academic probation, if the student earns below a 2.3 point-hour ratio for the semester, summer term, or session, and their cumulative point-hour ratio remains less than 2.0, the student will be eligible for dismissal from the University. Once the student’s cumulative point-hour ratio reaches a 2.0 or higher, the academic probation status will be removed. 

Academic Dismissal

Per University rule 3335-9-26, “If the student's college or school considers a student's progress as unsatisfactory in meeting the conditions placed on his or her probation, the college or school shall be empowered to dismiss the student from the university.” Students who are on academic probation and continue to accumulate deficiency points are likely candidates for dismissal. Dismissed students will be notified of their status by letter and e-mail and withdrawn from enrolled courses in the next academic term. 


Registration Petitions

Students generally pursue a registration petition when an important deadline has passed AND extenuating circumstances have prevented the student from meeting the deadlines.  Petitions are not guaranteed, even if you have a situation that prevented you from completing the course.  It is IMPORTANT that you ALWAYS talk with and advisor (or someone at the university) if you start to struggle in courses – a petition can be avoided.  Be vigilant of the end of the term deadlines regarding specific procedures.

  • Late Option Petition:  The university has established registration deadlines for each term which are published on the Office of the University Registrar website, If extenuating circumstances have prevented a student from submitting the request to register for Audit or Pass/Non-Pass options for a course, the student may petition for approval of a late/retroactive registration for Audit or Pass/Non-Pass options for a course. Poor performance in a course is not sufficient reason for a late registration for Audit or Pass/Non-Pass options.
  • Over 18 Hours Petition:  The default maximum credit hour load is 18 hours. The load limit exists to protect the student and assure successful completion of the courses.  This petition would need to be submitted within the course add period, generally no later than the second Friday of the term (or the first Friday of a 4-week session).
  • Late Enrollment:  You may add a class any time before the first Friday of the term, and the second Friday with the instructor’s permission.  In this case a Course Enrollment Permission form is required to be completed by the instructor.  After the term deadlines a petition will be required.
  • Retroactive Drop:  You may drop a class any time before the first Friday of the term without a financial assessment.  After that date the assessment increases to the Last day to drop a class and be assigned a (W) withdrawal grade.  The exact consequences depend on a number of factors, including the type and amount of aid you have and the official date on which you drop classes

If you are a University Employee or dependent, you may be required to pay back tuition benefits that you received.

  • Late Withdrawal Petition: The Ohio State University has established, firm drop deadlines for each term, which are published on the Office of the University Registrar website, After the established deadline has passed, courses will not be dropped from a student’s schedule unless extenuating circumstances come into play. Petitions are approved for students who demonstrate that extenuating circumstances (medical emergency involving hospitalization, being called up for active military duty, etc.) have arisen that make it impossible/impractical for the student to finish the term’s coursework, AND the extenuating circumstances began AFTER the drop deadline had passed.
  • Denied Petition Appeal:  A student may appeal a denied petition if additional information supporting the petition becomes available or if the student, with the endorsement of the advisor, can substantiate further the original documentation for reconsideration.

Reinstatement Petitions

Students generally pursue a reinstatement petition when they have been dismissed from the university. You must meet with an advisor so you understand the process, as well as what is involved in preparing an effective petition.

The published university deadlines for submitting a reinstatement petition are as follows: 

Autumn Semester

June 1*

Spring Semester

October 1*

Summer Term

February 1*

*Or the first business day following, if these dates fall on a weekend.

Denied Petition Appeal

A student may appeal a denied petition if additional information supporting the petition becomes available or if the student, with the endorsement of the advisor, can substantiate further the original documentation for reconsideration.