Embryology, Histology, Gross Anatomy Education
Histology is a concept that students taking courses in the medical, dental, and veterinary disciplines are required to know; however, access to necessary tools and resources are prohibitively expensive and limited. The project goal was to develop a comprehensive and customizable educational resource featuring online, digital histology content complete with interactive lecture modules, a pre-laboratory and a virtual laboratory experience. The public resource can be accessed at http://histology.osumc.edu.
- The instructor spent significantly less time covering laboratory material.
- Graduate students reported greater preference for using the virtual laboratory. Common reasons include:
- Easier access
- Better quality of tissue images
- Efficient use of time
- Conducive to team-based learning
- A total of 1,879 unique visitors studied the histology.osumc.edu virtual lab site during AU11.
- A majority of students preferred a customizable course.